Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Beef With Christmas.

                                          

Shopping and I have Have never been friends.
We tend to tolerate each other for the required amount of time. I am guilty of cancelling our Dates last minute and postponing them for as long as possible.

I get a headache even thinking about Christmas shopping.
My family is large, and we are successfully multiplying like the plague,  my Christmas list now requires a bag of its own to transport it around.

When I was a kid and my parents had a "meeting with Santa" My grandparents would take us shopping and give us $20 to buy a gift for our siblings and the freaked out flower children.
We didn't get pocket money in our house until we were 12, so $20 was the most amount of money I'd ever held in my tiny grubby little hands, and the equivalent of winning lotto.

I picked some pretty crap presents on those shopping trips. One year I gave my dad (an artist) a dinner plate, .....just one. " To mix paints on! like a palette" I explained when he opened it.
I gave mum a piece of Australiana jewelery that taste forgot and a bar of soap with a "scented wrapper", once you opened  the bar of almost 100% S.L.S, your eyes stung and it smelt like it might generate random bouts of herpes.

Both gifts were always received with a genuine "oh will you look at that,... that's just perfect... thanks love" That's going straight to the pool room.


    cat food soap



My sister ( the Midwife) was much easier to buy for, she would have done her rounds of the shop with organised planning and expert list ticking and would have handed my brother and I exactly what we were buying her that year..... Easy
I wish I had inherited her organisational genes, but it seems she had used the last of the "organised, Tidy and lactose tolerance" and by the time I arrived they had already started on the procrastinators box.....*sigh*

My brother wasn't hard to buy for either. He liked  2 things, cars or weapons of any sort. The freaked out flower children had a strict no guns, toys of war or violence policy in our house,...... so a car it was.
This policy had to be reviewed and relaxed with the arrival of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....... Hero's in a half shell.... turtle power!.....sorry.
That show was like crack to my then 7 year old brother. He was such a sweet thing with golden ringlets and big blue eyes, he would only have to pop one lime green VHS and he was numchucking and air kicking his way around the backyard, Taunting his orange tree opponent, knocking off it's fruit with a large stick Samurai.

My little brother, being the only boy in our family for a number of years, often got the arse end of the playtime deal.
His prized Jeep's and Tonka's were pilfered and used as Barbies tour bus. I remember him sitting begrudgingly through many of her dance party's and "be" skipper. He would do this on the promise we would get to play what he wanted to next. Mostly we did but sometimes it was just dinner time and hardly our fault.
We once made a bike track around the cubby house and the Midwife and I would man the new drive through restaurant. My brother would ride from window to window on his bike, paying with gravel and leaves, riding off off and returning about 20 seconds later usually after some sort of tyre spinning display and motorbike sounds for dramatic effect.

The toys of today require little imagination mostly, and if that's not bad enough, it seems you can't even buy the whole toy anymore... shelf after shelf of  ** box only, useful part of the toy sold separately.**

Soooo, when I stop procrastinating.....(writing blogs and alike), and I find a park at my local teeny bopper central, I will try to look for toys that will encourage independent and imaginative play. They are the best kind of gift.
They are the only kind I remember in enough detail to write about.


Emmaxx- Just back from RRSAHM


2 comments:

Mostly Diane said...

enjoyed your post.

Naomi said...

i hate the christmas shopping too. i have been trying to do lots online so i don't have to brave the mad rush at the shops. i so love a good find of an awesome toy (generally the box) that creates imaginative play. good luck on getting through your list and thanks for linking up today :)