Monday, May 23, 2011

So I Have Been a little AWOL....

Two chest infections, one head cold, one man runny nose.
Temperatures around 39.1 eight loads of washing, mostly various vomit covered stuffs.
3 hours and 40 Min's spent in the waiting room at the doctors, a small fortune on antibiotic's... most of the antibiotic's ejected back onto newly laundered sheets and clothing.

I have learnt a great many things this last week though.........

 My cat worming skills are versatile and useful........

I have learnt to simultaneously hold two children down and squirt foul tasting medicines down the back of their little throats by inserting the dropper into their little cheeks... quickly reverting them to their upright position to avoid aspiration, and clamping their little mouths shut with a face washer, chanting a mantra of ... Swallow it..... swallow it... SWAL-LOW IT!

To Drop My Standards...

I have learnt that I can reach a level of sleep deprivation that allows me to fall asleep, in three day old clothes, with a hand hovering above the radiant forehead of a toddler, whilst inhaling the scent of three different varieties of vomit.... none of them my own..... and not even care........

Timing is everything

I have learnt that my child will find the need for a medical professional at the most inconvenient times... namely 3am on a Sunday morning.... I also learnt that I can gaze upon my sick children for hours trying to decide whether they are indeed sick enough for a visit to the ED... as soon as I decide that  indeed they are ... and I am dressed and the car is running... they will all be asleep... and their fever's will have broken.....

Fear

Lethargic and feverish children are frightening.
I have learnt that no matter what it is my children are ill with... My mind will always assume it is meningitis first.... I also learnt that when my children are sick that I gain the skill of photographic memory recall..... I can remember every single snippet in the paper or school newsletter about whooping cough this and deadly out break of that... going back at least five years.....

Love

I have learnt that no matter how old my children get, when they are ill... they will still look like infants to me.

I learnt that, when very ill.... my twelve year old son will still cry for his mother.

I learnt that I can gaze into the blood shot eyes of my six year old and curse the amount of time I spend telling him to "sit still"... "sit down!" "stop shouting" "Stop running"... That there is a time that I would give almost anything for him to start running! Start Shouting!

I learnt that pin pointing the exact cause of Ms two's discomfort is a guessing game..... and all of my suggestions... "sore head?... sore tummy?" will always be met with an answer of "sore Elbow....Kiss it better?" I will always oblige... It won't always make it better.....

Humble Thanks

I will be forever grateful that my children have access to medical treatment and medicines..
That I live in a country that this is their right.....

Thankful that It is just ...

Two chest infections, one head cold, 
Temperatures around 39.1.... eight loads of washing, mostly various vomit covered stuffs.
3 hours and 40 Min's spent in the waiting room at the doctors, a small fortune on antibiotic's... most of the antibiotic's ejected back onto newly laundered sheets and clothing.
and not far worse.......


Emma xx

4 comments:

Kellie said...

Your poor babes :(
And poor you!

I hope everyone recovers quickly x

bigwords is... said...

Oh honey, sounds awful scary and tiring. I am so glad all is getting for you and your babies xx

Amy said...

Aww, you poor things :( I hate bloody germs. Glad you came through at the other end :) hopefully that will be your winter dose. Amy xx

Kevin said...

I hope your kids feel better soon and you are able to rest!