Friday, June 3, 2011

Never ignore a barking dog.



Smells like Friday people.
To celebrate, I am going to reminisce.

I was never allowed to swear when I was younger, My parents swore occasionally, usually to emphasise just how outrageous something was or at the dog and her incessant barking.

I would always tell my Nan on the phone if I had heard any swears,  and she would tell me that perhaps we needed a Cuss Box, which I later learned was like a swear jar.. (much like a wireless was a radio in Nanna land.)
I was always utterly delighted to hear nan talk of the Cuss Box... it always sounded like a swear in itself.

I distinctly remember one night, our dog Sally was barking and barking.... Dad got up, several times to call her back down to the porch, as soon as he would get back into bed she would start again with the barking............
I remember dad stomping up the hall.....bleary eyed to take a peek out the front... He didn't actually venture outside too far, he just stood in the doorway. (probably because he only ever wore undies to bed)

He stood there for a couple of minutes... peering out into the darkness while the dog barked and barked.... I heard him yell "Git up here dickhead, whats your problem?.... Shuddup...shhhh" Then there was much threatening to get the hose.....
The dog faithfully ran down to dad, tail wagging and plonked herself on the porch and dutifully went back to sleep.
I giggled a bit to myself under the doona at the swear...

The next morning I woke to the most tremendous swear I had ever heard.....

Our car was gone. It had been stolen. The "Dickhead dog" did try to warn him.
I learned to NEVER ignore a barking dog that day, so did Dad.

Happy Friday

Emmaxx

8 comments:

Kel said...

Hahahahahaha! Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, but fark that was funny! Did the car ever come back?

whatsinemmasbrain said...

We did get it back, a few weeks later.. and it was pretty funny xx

Miss Pink said...

This is why i want a dog. I think if my dog barked i may tell it to shut up but i'd also be taking a peek. Dogs are faithful companions after all.

Kellie said...

Haha! Something similar happened to a friend of my brothers, only it was his motorbike.
He got the bike back eventually too ;)
x

Good Golly Miss Holly! said...

HAHAHAHA Suck on that one, Dad!

Fussy Eater's Mum said...

Great story! Love the Cuss Box too. May have to implement one on Fussy Farm as we have a lot of barking dogs!

Tat said...

What a great story, dogs are so clever!

Madam Bipolar said...

Oh no! The car.