Monday, August 29, 2011

The Rant.

Just in case you were under the impression that renovating ones kitchen is all sunshine and lolly pops, I have written a post sharing with you, the down side of DIY renovation.

If you are slightly dirty at the fact that I scored myself a kitchen renovation, you may find this post enjoyable also.

When renovating one's anything there are bound to be problems. There is sure to be difficulties.

Up until recently, the whole thing has been exciting.

It is not my intention to mislead you into thinking that this is all play in the park, because the minute you remove one kitchen, it becomes a nightmare.

In the interest of honest journalism I present to you.....




Things I have learnt.

  • I have learnt to expect things to go wrong.
  •  
  • Because they will.
  •  
  • Frequently. All the time.
  •  
  • At some point, the vision you had for your completed renovation can become clouded in sawdust mess, rotten floor boards and plastic plates.
  •  
  • When you remove your old Kitchen, you may find that one or more things are rotten, and will need replacing.
  •  
  • Buying a house built pre circa late 1980's, means fibro, fibro can mean asbestos, asbestos means costly and time consuming precautions.
  •  
  • Sometimes, when you order your kitchen cupboards, one or more are delivered in a different colour to the others, this means more waiting.
  •  
  • Plumbers and electricians are busy people.
  •  
  • Sometimes, your dishwasher arrives in the wrong colour... more waiting again.
  •  
  • Waiting for anything means money... especially after you have removed your old kitchen.
  •  
  • There should be a column in the budget worksheet for the Take away food required, whilst your kitchen is out of action.
  •  
  • After renovating anything in your house, you may discover things about your spouse that greatly annoy you and up until the renovation, you were blissfully unaware that your spouse was capable of such levels of aggravation.
  •  
  • Your oven may need to be ordered in from another state.
  •  
  • Floating floor boards are not as simple as they seem.... They do not all click together like Lego and sit perfectly flush like they do in the instructional video.
  •  
  • Instructional video's are extremely painful to watch.
  •  
  • Splash back is necessary to have before your kitchen can be installed completely.
  •  
  • Sometimes it is easier to lay your floor around your new cabinetry.
  •  
  • Sometimes paint colors seem like a good idea at the time... It is worth your while to invest in sample pots.
  •  
  • Sometimes things don't fit as they should.
  •  
  • I have 4003 cake tins in various shapes and sizes.
  •  
  • I clearly don't need 4003 cake tins.
  •  
  • Measure twice, cut once.
  •  
  • Sometimes, you are just going to have a bad day, two days.  Weekend.
  •  
  • Losing your Phillips head scewdriver, can be threatening to both your relationship, and your plans.......
  •  
  • Sometimes... It is just easier to call the guy.
  •  
  • I wont call the guy.
  •  
  • You can erase a whole weekend of bad experiences, by looking at an assembled cupboard.
  •  
  • I am capable of standing over an assembled Kitchen Cabinet, with as much pride as if I had given birth to it's four pointy corners myself, naturally and with no pain relief.
  •  
  • Sometimes renovating your kitchen can feel like you are giving birth to a very large and pointy kitchen cabinet, with a dried up crusty old midwife rolling her eyes at you and telling you that you will be hours yet.

  • Tomorrow is another day.
  •  


I have put together a Vlog of all the publish-able bad moments.......

video

Emma.


Everdure are paying for my Kitchen Renovation.
Bunnings are supplying my Kitchen Renovation
I scored myself a free kitchen renovation, by joining Soup.

4 comments:

Miss Pink said...

Does Mr Emmasbrain complain that you have "Attitude"?
Mr Black tells me I do, but I talk exactly like you do! I can't help it if he's stupid and can't put stuff back where he got it from!

Loved your vlog! Your kitchen will be together before you know it.
If you ever rennovate your bathroom, maybe pay someone next time? Lol. I'm lucky Mr Black is an ex chippy.

Good Golly Miss Holly! said...

Erm, I'm showing MC this because he has fantasties about us renovating our own kitchen and bathroom ... and I have fantasties of stabbing him with a screwdriver or a pair of scissors. Obviously, whichever I can bloody find at the time! x

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Great post. I think you can pretty much apply this to DIY anything! We have just finished a bathroom (full of asbestos) with the kitchen to come. I wish I was elsewhere. Anywhere would do.

Lina@MothersLoveLetters said...

Wow! There is SO MUCH to it... How long have you been renovating?