Monday, May 7, 2012

Lè Band.




IMAGE CREDIT - CABBAGE.

A few weeks ago, I was at the local pub with my sister, and as it tends to happen when I am out with my sister, somehow we ended up sitting at the same table as a weird and wonderful cover band that had made the perilous journey, from the suburbs of the city's east, to our local pub, an inconvenient distance to anything remotely hip.
After sharing a few drinks and some laughs, pretty soon we were discussing the forming of bands.
I was told by the very skilled Base player from the cover band at the local pub, that;

Joining a band was like being married to five different people at the same time.
Everybody has their own idea of what the band will become, get it wrong and it's intense and angry, Get it right and it's Magic.
Like all marriages, if everyone's opinions are respected, you share a common goal and you don't pick a crazy asshole, them you will quite literally make beautiful music
.

Now, he went on to tell me that he had been a member of several bands and was recently divorced and not on speaking terms with either his wife or ex band mates, and he also gave off the distinct air that he may have never quite returned from the great trip to LSD of 1971, but I decided he was very wise, and I kept his advice in the back of my mind.

This weekend brought with it, the first ever time I ever played with Lè band.
I was grateful that it was a relaxed affair, because just quietly, I was extremely nervous.
I was not only nervous because I don't usually play my guitar I front of anyone, but this event was indeed momentous.

I was full of the nervous energy that really only comes from actually doing something that you have planned to do for going on three years now.

It had been a long time coming, a long time planning, there was much talk of me joining the band, there were many a drunk agreements made, that I would one day, hopefully, maybe, have time to join the band, and now, it was actually taking shape, I had the sinking feeling that I had built up unrealistic expectations, and perhaps the band would be bitterly disappointed in me.

Who was I trying to kid? I only ever play guitar to myself and my sister or my dad.
Of course I am going to think I sound fabulous, compared to what??!?? ....and Dads and sisters don't tell you that you sound like rubbish, its just not cricket, your family don't do things like that.

Then I remembered that I pull a ridiculous face when I am concentrating!! My guitar face is unpleasant to watch, What was I thinking?!?.....What if they LAUGH at me?!?!?

I dont know my place here!! What if I become the YOKO?!?... Nobody wants to be Yoko!!!

Luckily for me though, I didn't have too long to collapse in a heap of self doubt, because in my typical style, these thoughts all made their appearance shortly after I arrived on the door step of Band Camp, and before I had time to process it all, Cabbage, the kids and I were very warmly welcomed by old friends.
We were wined, (no kids were wined, calm down) dined and relaxed enough not to care if I sounded like rubbish, because I was having too much of a good time.

So anyway, turns out....I could spend some time being married to these people.
I LOVE this. The whole evening was fantastic.
I played OK, I have much to learn, it will definitely all come together with a bit of time, and you know what? IM DOING THE SHIT OUT OF IT.
It is So very, very exciting, keep you posted.

Emma.


3 comments:

Debyl1 said...

You go girl.Follow your dream.Love your courage. xx

Denwise aka Denyse Whelan said...

Hi Emma, that is great, just great. Music is my husband's best ever distraction from his many ills. He plays both guitar & piano & I can see what a difference playing means for him. So glad you have now debuted. That's done...now back for more. Wonderful .. Denyse

Sharon A. said...

Rock on!!