Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Crying In front of Barney Martin.

*I was not paid for this post, although it does contain mention of branding.



Before I was a mum, Bambi was probably the saddest movie I had ever seen. I didn't typically tear up at moving moments, I was never much of a crier, especially not in public.. Hide your shame!

I think the only time I ever spilled tears in public, was when my Bestie  fell over into a huge puddle in the main street and almost got hit by a taxi... and even then the tears were from laughter.
She will never live it down, I checked if she was OK first... I'm that kind of friend.

Fast forward, to the post birth blur X3 and it turns out I am quite the crier. Even in public, especially in public. Much to my pre children disgust, the tears now burn hot and sting my eyes on a fairly regular basis.

Something like watching the Lion King, or whenever my children loose a tooth, have a fever or out grow a car seat, the sight of them sleeping...... (You will never love your children more than when they are sleeping, and surprisingly its not because they are asleep.)

OK its a little bit because they are asleep, but I can tell you that even when I look in on the teen, and he is sleeping with his peach fuzz covered mouth gaping wide open and his greasy adolescent hair matted over his face, he still looks like my newborn to me...... Although my newborn teen never woke up while I was watching him sleep, and called me a creep and told me to get out of his room. Look, now  I'm crying again.

I can also be seen crying at proud moments like award assemblies, at sporting games and dance recitals,  or something as simple as finding half a packet of tiny teddies crushed into oblivion under a lounge cushion, after I thought the vacuuming was done, and there I am, sobbing like a crazy person on Dr Phil's couch.

I often think that this may be, because having children opens a whole new part of you that you never knew existed.
From the moment you clap your beadies on that delightfully squashed, squealing newborn face, full of innocence, there is a knowing.
There is a knowing of pride, of love, of terror, an overwhelming urge to protect, at that moment, you are forever changed, knowing that there is nothing you wouldn't do for your child.

Perhaps I didn't cry so much with emotion before children because I didn't know that kind of pride, or love or knowing.
Perhaps that part of me was born too.

When I attended the Mum Olympics hosted by P&G recently, Hosted at the Hausmanns office, we were shown their TVC for P&G's Olympic sponsorship, This year, they are proud sponsors of Mums, so I watched..
Giving quick sideways glances at Kim, who was holding back tears of her own... and it happened... I couldn't stop it....IN FRONT OF BARNEY MARTIN THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! I reached for the tissues, snuffed goobers back up my nose and I just know my chin was doing that awful dimply quivering thing... I am an ugly crier.

And then I saw it... Barney reached for a tissue and stared firmly at the table.

ITS THAT MOVING.

I dare you to watch this without tissues handy...

Thanks mum... Sob*





Em.

2 comments:

Tara @ Our Whirlwind Adventures said...

Oh Gawd!
I watched this without tissues because the last time someone told me I'd love something was when I was recommended 50 shades of Grey and I didn't love that at all.!! So, I figured you'd be just lying your pants off like my sex deviant friend and NOW I'M BAWLING WITH NO TISSUES ON HAND.!
I think I would embarrass my children if they became Olympians. I mean, I rang my whole extended family in proud tears when Master S actually wee'd in the garden because the toilet was occupied (as opposed to pissing his pants like he normally would).

Tara @ Our Whirlwind Adventures said...

Oh Gawd!
I watched this without tissues because the last time someone told me I'd love something was when I was recommended 50 shades of Grey and I didn't love that at all.!! So, I figured you'd be just lying your pants off like my sex deviant friend and NOW I'M BAWLING WITH NO TISSUES ON HAND.!
I think I would embarrass my children if they became Olympians. I mean, I rang my whole extended family in proud tears when Master S actually wee'd in the garden because the toilet was occupied (as opposed to pissing his pants like he normally would).