Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Dear Teen Son,

The problem with having babies is that they grow. That  sweet, little, precious bundle you carried home from the hospital can eventually grow until they are almost a whole head taller than you, and they are not so sweet, not so little, but still your precious bundle.

Teenagers are hard, they can be moody, and angry, and perpetually hard done by. They get bored easily, are known to be manipulative and their personal hygiene is questionable at best.

Gone are the days when you can put them in a corner for a time out, or tuck them into bed when they are over tired and over emotional, which to be frank, by the time they are teens, is ALL THE TIME.

I’m not going to lie, Your options for guiding and correcting your teen, are pretty much limited to the removal of privileges.  Game consoles, phones, time spent in extracurricular activities, that kind of thing.


The problem with this is, that it becomes predictable. Your teen is cunning and will anticipate the consequences of their actions. They will begin to find ways to around it, like turn their phone off to avoid you being able to contact them in order to enforce such consequences. 
It is at this time however, that consequences, boundaries and respect are most important, so you must get creative! (and just pray that you are not causing any long term psychological damage.)



Dear Teen son,

I love you so very dearly, but remember when you asked me if you could have some friends over this afternoon and I said that it was OK as long as your room was clean? And you agreed? Then this morning, when I asked you if it was clean, you said yes?

Well...


My love, I just spent an hour and a half cleaning your clean room, and I am most annoyed that your phone is conveniently off or flat so that I cant cancel your friends coming over. 

I hope your friends enjoy your new room decor.




Mum xx

(Meanwhile, does anyone have a one direction or Beiber poster I can borrow for the afternoon?)



Completing a 30 day blog challenge with MELODRAMATIC ME

11 comments:

Lisa Lintern said...

My oldest is only 7. I don't want to know about this...*sticks head in sand*

river said...

This is great!! Did you put up a frilly curtain to match that cushion?

Emmas Brain said...

You have plenty of time to prepare yet. Xx

Emmas Brain said...

No, but I SHOULD have!! I saw a one direction doona cover at target the other day, I may buy it.. Just in case. X

Miss Pink said...

This is absolute GOLD! Can you make sure we're still friends in 7 years so I can enjoy your perils of wisdom that I will no doubt need? Lol.

Emmas Brain said...

Done and done x

Debyl1 said...

I love how you work clever mama.x

Emmas Brain said...

Thanks love, his room is DISGRACEFUL again now, but it sparkles if e as friends coming over, so I just book in a sleepover when it gets too bad. I'm cunning like that. Xx

meandmyreadymadefamily said...

Lmfao that is priceless! I absolutely love it.

Emmas Brain said...

I don't know if the teen appreciates it as much, but he will..Or his therapist will.

Pinky Poinker said...

Very clever idea! The amount of times I should have done that!